La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Monday, April 18, 2005




As I was saying....

The desafuero conflict is likely to be resolved with some sort of negotiated outcome, in part, because all actors fear the economic consequences if foreign investors get too freaked out. I repeated this claim last week, too.

It seems the Mexican Secretary of State (and would be PAN candidate for President in 2006) agrees with me. In a press conference, Santiago Creel said that the government would wait for the decision of the Supreme Court, but that some sort of "political arrangement" was possible. From the story in El Universal :
En conferencia de prensa, Creel Miranda, en nombre del gobierno federal, planteó la posiblidad de un arreglo político, aunque primero esperaría a conocer las resoluciones del Poder Judicial.

De esa manera, "para ver si hay un campo de acción en donde el presidente de la República pueda intervenir desde el punto de vista político, en los márgenes que permitan las resoluciones de los jueces".

Se buscará una salida política pero sin trastocar el Estado de derecho, precisó.

Primero, insistió, tenemos que esperar a que resuelvan las instancias judiciales que, en su opinión, de ninguna manera han sido rebasadas por este conflicto.

Hmmm....I seem to recall predicting something just like this when I was in Chicago last weekend. I said that they'd negotiate some deal to keep markets calm, and to prevent all hell from breaking loose. I think there was some sort of bet involved, too.....


posted by Michelle @ 9:58 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives