La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005




Conference fun

I didn't attend APSA last week but will be attending a smaller conference this week. I've recently decided that smaller, focused conferences are more fruitful for disseminating research and networking than the big APSA-style events.

Just think, how many times have you heard someone complain at APSA that everyone walks around staring at everyone else's name badge to figure out if they are worth talking to or acknowledging?

Well, I've come across (thanks to Brian) name badges that could make staring at everyone's chest at conferences even more interesting.

Essentially, the badges have 4 LED lights that light up when you get within infrared range of other attendees with similar profiles. So, if Paul was standing in line to use the email stations at APSA and another public opinion researcher was waiting in line behind him, their badges would light up. And, Paul would automatically download all of that person's contact information into his badge!

How creepy cool is that?


posted by Michelle @ 10:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 9/06/2005 6:28 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

I've recently decided that smaller, focused conferences are more fruitful for disseminating research and networking than the big APSA-style events.

That revelation only took me five minutes into my first visit to APSA in 1999--not coincidentally, in Washington. Then again, I hate large crowds (particularly ones composed of political scientists); Midwest is nearly beyond my comfort level.

And, for what it's worth, nobody bothered conversing with me just because I had Duke on my name tag (and believe me, I experimented by loitering in a high-traffic area for several hours). Then again, that's probably because I'm going to be cursed to look like a grad student until I'm 40.

 
At 9/07/2005 11:19 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I never said I wasn't at least a little naive about these things. I also never knew how to find the smaller meetings; they tend to be hidden or more difficult to get into.

One day you'll be glad you look young, and it will be sooner rather than latter. I used to be confused for the TA when I walked into big lecture classes just a few years ago, but already it's clear I'm the prof. Having a tenure-track position will age you quickly. You'll see soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives