La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Friday, April 15, 2005




Gender bias in academia?

Of course. Though many of my male colleagues are sensitive, warm-fuzzy types (not all, but probably a greater proportion than you'd find in the general population), many still don't understand the subtle gender biases in academia, some of which they inadvertantly help to perpetuate.

Take for example, the comment made to me by a new colleague on hearing that I had just received my Ph.D. before starting my first tenure-track position: "Congratulations. In my field, it takes a white, male an average of seven years to get his first tenure-track position." Well, I could have retorted (had I not been so dumbfounded) that his field is also one of very little practical use these days...


posted by Michelle @ 10:35 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives