La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Thursday, September 08, 2005




New Social Statistics Blog, led by Gary King

According to the email sent to the POLMETH list, the new blog has been:
...created by a group of graduate student affiliates of the Institute for Quantitative Social Science at Harvard and me [Gary King]. The graduate students represent a wide range of academic disciplines, and plan daily posts intended to make public some of the hallway conversations about social science statistical methods and analysis at the Institute. We plan to cover a wide range of topics including current methodological trends, ongoing research results, papers presented (and discussion at) recent conferences and seminars. Some of the first posts are about the summer meetings of the Society for Political Methodology just held at FSU. Comments posted from those interested are encouraged.

I wonder what Tribble (via) would think of a Harvard grad student that blogs? Would they hire a Harvard blogger? Do Harvard bloggers get special permission to be creative, interesting and blog, while mere mortals must blog for all the wrong reasons? That a leading political scientist would organize a group of graduate students into a blog suggests, to me at least, that the Tribbles of the academic world may eventually be proven wrong.


posted by Michelle @ 8:55 AM,

6 Comments:

At 9/08/2005 12:05 PM, Blogger La Madre said...

How distant are we from the average person when we get excited (which I am) about a social statistics blog?
It's messed up I say...and yet I like it. Oh God, I feel guilty about liking it. This is what happens when you creat an academic-wanna-be-Irish-Mexican-Catholic... guilt about a social stats blog.

 
At 9/08/2005 2:56 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

I guess this means I need to update my POLMETH subscription. Not that I'd much missed it in the past month...

 
At 9/08/2005 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Michelle's musing...
I wonder what Tribble would think of a Harvard grad student that blogs? Would they hire a Harvard blogger?

...I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that Gary's students aren't all that hot for a job at Quaint Old College, anyway.

 
At 9/08/2005 5:49 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I know, I know. I thought that myself after re-reading my post, but I'm assuming there are also lots of Tribbles at other state universities.

UCSD has done lots of searches recently; has it ever become an issue?

Or, better yet, if you mention your blogs to your colleagues, do they look at you crossed-eyed?

 
At 9/08/2005 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has not been an issue here that I know of. I doubt anyone would care.

if you mention your blogs to your colleagues, do they look at you crossed-eyed?

Hmmm. That is an expermiment yet to be run. Results pending...

 
At 9/09/2005 9:15 PM, Blogger J.S. Zolliker said...

Really wrong.
Saludos desde México!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives