La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

People in funny suits

Back when Paul used to blog and I was in Mexico, I posted a number of pictures in funny suits in Mexico. Because of a corrupted photo card, I also lost a picture of me with a Mexican drugstore mascot.

Well, Thursday night, I was able to snap a picture of the drugstore mascot in Monterrey. S/He was dancing to techno.



posted by Michelle @ 8:12 PM,

4 Comments:

At 1/30/2006 2:49 PM, Blogger J.S. Zolliker said...

And this mascot is called "Dr. Simi" as Similar (for drugstores and similar or non patented medicines) which is the bussines owned by Mr. Victor Gonzalez Torres (aka Dr. Simi too), who by the way, tried to become presidential candidate of the new party Alternativa, in a some how "coup de etat"... (spanish link http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/325088.html) which didnt turn out well for him. Greetings!

 
At 1/30/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good point. I hadn't caught that. But I do remember fondly the billboards throughout Mexico with a picture of "Dr. Simi" that gradually morphed into a cartoon of Dr. Simi. Looks like a good link. Thanks!

 
At 2/05/2006 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this mustachioed guy gets around. I see him on the streets of Buenos Aires, where he is known as Dr. Ahorro. (Always makes me smile). Evidently, the Argentine stores are owned by Victor's brother Javier and there's quite a fierce competition between the two brothers.

 
At 2/05/2006 8:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I never noticed the chain in BA, but I was only there a month. I wonder where else they have expanded their chains?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives