La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lopez Obrador seeks to calm markets

Over the last week, the Mexican stock and bond market has been fairly volatile. I've resisted the temptation to repeat the ups and downs on a daily basis. In any event, Lopez Obrador made a campaign stop up north (i.e., Monterrey) to calm markets and assure the business community that he's no Hugo Chavez. I'm not sure they'll believe him, but it's worth a try.

In any case, when I visited Tec de Monterrey in early June, I was telling some skeptical Regios that though Lopez Obrador is a leftist, he's not a Hugo Chavez. I suggested that he understood the importance of business support and foreign capital, and I cited his behavior during the desafuero last year as evidence. I'm not sure I convinced them either.

Now that the election is fast approaching, I thought it'd be worth posting links to some of my earlier predictions and analyses.

My November post predicted a 2-way race between AMLO and Calderon. [Don't be too impressed--that was a fairly obvious one....]

From last April (April 2005), I commented on the Finance Minister's recognition of AMLO's restraint and discussed the issue of markets and the attempt to prevent AMLO from running for President.

I still say AMLO's more likely to turn out to be a Lula than a Chavez, if elected.


posted by Michelle @ 6:14 PM,

3 Comments:

At 6/20/2006 7:05 PM, Blogger J.S. Zolliker said...

I really hope so.

 
At 6/20/2006 8:25 PM, Blogger boz said...

If we have to predict who he'll compare to, I'm going to guess Garcia. A populist who will have his disagreements with both the US and Chavez.

 
At 6/20/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

But which Garcia, the old or the new (and supposedly refomed)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home