La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Monday, May 16, 2005




Homophobia, another reason to not like Mexico

According to a preliminary report by the Citizen Commission against hate crime, for every one homicide due to homophobia that is reported, another three go unreported. They estimate that there are 8 homocides a month or 97 a year in the country. The place with the highest number of such hate crimes in Mexico City, but I suspect this is a reflection of the size of the city and probably better reporting. The overwhelming majority of these crimes are against men, though women have been murdered as well.

So even though I regularly see gay couples holding hands in the park by my apartment while walking their dogs, it's clear that such permissive attitudes do not extend throughout the city or country.


posted by Michelle @ 10:09 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives