La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005




So out of character

...for both K Grease and Munger. Who would have thought that Munger would cave to criticism? This is the man that called getting tenure at a top research university a non-event. This is the man that teases (ok...bullies) underpaid clerks everywhere.

Ok, so it is difficult to have a non-anonymous blog and resist the urge to rant about the injustices at your job, in your profession, or personal life. (There have been times I have been tempted to rant about colleagues or staff....) So, you either don't blog about those things, or you get an anonymous blog. The problem with anonymous blogs is that they can quickly degrade into something uninteresting (and most seem kinda whiney).

I thought the great thing about Munger's blog was that he was one of the few to combine both informed commentary and random rants. We got his professional opinions on the economy, tenure, and free speech, but we also got to see what a jerk he can be in real life. (And aren't we all jerks sometimes? Most of us would rather not advertise it, though, so we keep our rants private or share them only with those that know us well enough to forgive us for our jerkiness.) But, it's also clear from the blog that he's not always a jerk and can be fair-minded.

To me, Munger is one of the few who doesn't care if everyone knows he draws skull & crossbones on paper reviews for journals or harasses underpaid clerks. That type of honesty (especially in academia) is refreshing.

So now, we find out he's going to go create some lame pseudonymous blog so that we don't know the real identity behind the performance art? Lame, lame, lame. I would have expected it from some pansy, untenured prof, but not Munger. What does he have to lose anyway? (It's not like those of us that know him don't know what he's capable of...) I thought he was immune to criticism, or at least unaffected by it.

I'm very disappointed in you, Munger. You should know better.


posted by Michelle @ 11:23 AM,

9 Comments:

At 6/14/2005 7:01 PM, Blogger Mungowitz said...

Dude! That's pretty tough.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but....wow.

 
At 6/14/2005 8:21 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking, but too afraid to say. Sorry I won't be able to read your blog anymore. I really enjoyed it. Much better than those cardboard poli sci blogs (mine, perhaps, included).

 
At 6/14/2005 8:24 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

And, I said all that while at the same time having a great deal of respect for you as a person and academic. md

 
At 6/14/2005 8:53 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

Hey, I resemble that remark...

 
At 6/14/2005 11:52 PM, Blogger WTOTW said...

Note to self: never cross Michelle.

I bet she could take KGM. Just saying.

 
At 6/15/2005 9:01 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Chris, I was thinking more of those serious blogs you feel you should read, but don't really want to read.

That's right Paul, cross me, and I'll tell everyone something about you that they all know anyway. I'll crush you by stating the obvious.

 
At 6/15/2005 10:19 AM, Blogger WTOTW said...

Ow! It hurts already.

I thought that Drezner was serious until I found out about his fixation on Jennifer Love Hewitt's wardrobe. Kind of undercuts his oh-so-intellectual-middle-of-the-road-U-of-C-facade.

 
At 6/15/2005 2:41 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

What PRB said... I'm not sure the world is ready for the combination of serious IR blogging and celebrity cheesecake that Dan offers, not that it's stopping him!

Of course, CT is just pretentious twaddle, or Eschaton for those who like their leftism to be vaguely literate and mixed in with Commonwealth accents.

(I, of course, exaggerate slightly on both counts...)

Me, I prefer the "Desparate Poli Sci Blogger" persona I exude, which is disturbingly close to my own personality (except it's a lot less strident in person-SEL is a lot closer to my real personality). But I'm probably the only one who does.

 
At 8/14/2008 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks For The article
kral oyunkız oyunlarıoyunlaroyunlar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives