La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Thursday, August 04, 2005




Mexico now leader in kidnappings

Mexico is now apparently in first place for kidnappings worldwide. This year, it has already outpaced Brazil and Colombia.

I wonder, though, how these countries compare in terms of reporting of crimes. Many, many crimes, including kidnappings, do not get reported in Mexico. On the other hand, the government has had a public campaign aimed at increasing crime reporting, specifically for kidnapping. So, could the "increase" really be due to better data? I'm not sure anyone will ever know. Even if you compared police reported numbers to survey numbers, there would be so much noise in both sets of data, that I'm not sure you could ever really figure out an really accurate kidnapping rate.

In any event, Mexico now has the dubious distinction of being #1.

And to think, I never even thought about buying kidnapping insurance while in Mexico!


posted by Michelle @ 11:38 AM,

3 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 3:32 PM, Blogger La Madre said...

yeah, i've had a few friends in mexico whose family members have been kidnapped. one of my good friends' uncle has been kidnapped twice now...

 
At 8/04/2005 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're number 1, we're number 1, ...

Sorry, had to be said =).

agm

 
At 8/04/2005 8:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah, well, at least now if Mexico doesn't go all the way in the world cup, you have something to be "first" at. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives