La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Monday, September 19, 2005




From my inbox....

Need a place to send that manuscript of non-results lying dormant in your bottom drawer? Try this new journal this new journal. (Thanks for the correction, Chris.)

I wonder, what would Munger think? Would a publication in the Journal of Spurious Correlation be better than no publication at all?

As a Popperian social science, I often wonder why major political science journals only publish results that support hypotheses and few that falsify them. Since political science is a Popperian social science (in general), why do major journals in the discipline only publish results that support hypotheses and few that falsify them? Maybe this is one step in that direction.


posted by Michelle @ 11:38 AM,

7 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 8:20 PM, Blogger WTOTW said...

There's a Popperian science of Michelle Dionism? Creepy.

I'm still thinking about what journal should receive my never-completed article on polling the dead.

 
At 9/19/2005 9:19 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Silly rabbit, I meant that political science is a Popperian social science....not that I'm a Popperian social scientist.

 
At 9/20/2005 9:14 AM, Blogger WTOTW said...

Actually, what you said is that you were a Popperian social science (unto yourself?).

And I want my Trix!

 
At 9/20/2005 10:22 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

And who said blogs weren't peer reviewed?

Is the above edit any better?

 
At 9/20/2005 7:07 PM, Blogger WTOTW said...

Sure. Not that I had anything against Popper in the first place.

 
At 9/20/2005 7:49 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

My Spanish is rusty (ok, nonexistent), but I'm pretty sure that link has nothing to do with a peer-reviewed journal.

And... a pub is a pub is a pub, at least in my book (and, for that matter, in the books of most people at BA/MA institutions... the Research I rat race is for the birds, IMHO).

 
At 9/21/2005 8:55 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for the correction. That post had problems all around...guess it's a sign of how busy I have been.

Here's the real link that arrived in my inbox.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives