La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005




Misc Mexican news roundup

Today, there are several items that relate to news topics I've mentioned before.

They've found another murdered woman in Ciudad Juarez. That brings this year's total to 30. Read my earlier posts.
[Updated: There's a NYTimes article and multimedia slideshow about the femicidios this week.]

The Supreme Court will hear a case brought by the Executive regarding sugar cane industry legislation. This relates to an earlier observation (and follow-up) that I made regarding the increasing importance of the Mexican judiciary for resolving political disputes.

Subnational units of the social security union are mobilizing against the proposed reform to their labor contract and the 2004 legislation. The previous posts about the conflict are too many to list. Also notable is the subnational alliances mentioned in the article which reflect changes in the union movement post-2000. For the complete story on that, you'll have to wait until I write that article.

And finally, representatives from the PRI and PRD are putting together an initiative to legalize abortion. [This is actually a new topic, though I posted some links to the heated debate about the day-after pill this summer.]


posted by Michelle @ 12:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives