La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Poli sci rumor mills

Luckily, when I sort-of went on the job market (I only applied for jobs I would really take because I was in a position to wait and go on the market a second time if necessary), I was in Mexico City. Thus, I was somewhat isolated from the job market rumor mill, where you hear about everyone else's interviews and offers before you receive any calls or interviews. Thank goodness because it was nerve wracking enough without obsessing about what everyone else was doing.

Now, blogs have appeared to lower the information costs and make sure everyone can participate in the job market rumor mill. There's the Comparative and American rumor mill, the Political theory and public law rumor mill, and the IR rumor mill. I find it odd that American and Comparative are combined....run by a couple looking for jobs in both fields, perhaps? And, I note that our IPE position at Georgia Tech isn't on the IR page, despite being listed on APSA's e-jobs site. What could this mean? The position is not rumor-worthy? Or, that we and our candidates are highly discreet?

Via Chris.


posted by Michelle @ 10:53 PM,

3 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 12:23 AM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

I dunno, I found the public law/theory combo even weirder. If PL overlapped with anything I'd say it would fit with American.

There's definitely a bias at all 3 sites toward PhD departments, which may reflect the interests of many job-seekers. On the Am/Comp rumor mill list, for example, I'd say 3/4 of the positions listed in the "offers" part are at PhD departments. Granted, that may partially reflect the fact that non-PhD departments tend to hire in the spring (following the timetables of most other disciplines).

 
At 1/29/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Ballard said...

Thanks for the links. My understanding is that these are open to (anonymous) submissions - if your institutions announced positions, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be grateful if you'd post them there, as well.

 
At 2/08/2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

For the record, I'm not the one leaking Duke stuff at those sites... although if I were, it'd be far juicier info!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives