La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Remittances to Mexico from US up 20% in 2005

That's according to this article. No doubt the increase is in part due to increased migration to the US but another part is also probably due to the increased economic activity in the US over the same period.

According to some, remittances from workers in the US to their families in Mexico is now the second largest component of Mexico's economy, after petroleum and before tourism.


posted by Michelle @ 2:05 PM,

3 Comments:

At 2/05/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger La Madre said...

I remember in one of my international economics classes the lecturer stating that sometimes the US government may not give as much fincial aid to foreign countries as other "industrialized nations" but that we do give more in remittances. He argued that this should be considered when we look at foreign aid.
But I disagree, I made the argument that this is like given your slave a Pig on Christmas and then saying see I give you assitance that I didn't have to. Working for pay and then spending your pay abroad should that really count as foriegn aid?
Michelle, would you count it as foreign aid?

 
At 2/05/2006 8:38 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/05/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I wouldn't count it as foreign aid. I do, however, think that Mexican politicians do not acknowledge the ways in which emigration to the U.S. helps reduce unemployment in Mexico. They (Mexican politicians) are more willing to acknowledge the importance of remittances for domestic consumption (and growth, to the extent that consumers are buying domestically produced goods and services).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives