La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Today the real count begins in Mexico

The Sunday preliminary results for the Mexican elections were of the 'quick count' system. That's where precincts send their counts directly to the central electoral officials (IFE) electronically. Almost 99% of those reports are now in. Those are the results in which Calderon has a lead of 0.6%.


Go to original.

Today, the official count begins at the district level. All the paperwork and sealed ballot boxes from the precincts will be reviewed at the district. If there are any inconsistencies or problems in the paperwork, the sealed ballot box will be opened, and the votes will be re-counted by hand before certifying the results. (I read that at least o One district had opened their box because the paperwork was missing to begin counting by hand , but now I can't find the link.) If the paperwork is in order, the district tallies all the votes from the precinct paperwork; certifies it; and sends it upward through IFE.

The NYTimes has a couple of articles about the elections.

The leftist paper, La Jornada, is reporting that precinct paperwork for a poor neighborhood in Mexico State (but part of the Mexico City metropolitan area) has been found at the dump.


posted by Michelle @ 11:43 AM,

3 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger La Madre said...

I won't believe the results no matter what the outcome.

Even if AMLO had won (my choice) I still wouldn't have believed it).

 
At 7/05/2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

It wouldn't surprise me if that sentiment was widespread.

 
At 6/05/2023 5:35 AM, Anonymous Coffee Recipes said...

Thanks for sharing thiss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives