La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to Visit my other website.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Post in which I say something positive about WalMex

... though regular readers (assuming these exist...) may cry foul.

Wal-Mart is the biggest private employer in Mexico and has many different store chains and restaurants.

Now, the corporation plans to open banks in its stores. Though critics of Wal-Mart may be skeptical of such a move, I think competition from Wal-Mart may be just what the Mexican banking system needs. Mexican banks provide poor service, charge ridiculous fees, and lack transparency. Many banking fees/policies disproportionately hurt the lower and middle classes and increased competition should help reduce fees and increase access to affordable credit.

From Bloomberg.

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart (and when in the U.S., I do not shop there), but I do think WalMex banks would be good for working Mexicans.

posted by Michelle @ 12:32 PM,


At 8/04/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

No crying foul here.

I haven't shopped much at Wal-Mart the last two years, but largely because of inconvenience and not because of any "principled stand" (indeed, of all my college retail jobs, Wal-Mart paid the best).


Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts

Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?