La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Post in which I say something positive about WalMex

... though regular readers (assuming these exist...) may cry foul.

Wal-Mart is the biggest private employer in Mexico and has many different store chains and restaurants.

Now, the corporation plans to open banks in its stores. Though critics of Wal-Mart may be skeptical of such a move, I think competition from Wal-Mart may be just what the Mexican banking system needs. Mexican banks provide poor service, charge ridiculous fees, and lack transparency. Many banking fees/policies disproportionately hurt the lower and middle classes and increased competition should help reduce fees and increase access to affordable credit.

From Bloomberg.

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart (and when in the U.S., I do not shop there), but I do think WalMex banks would be good for working Mexicans.


posted by Michelle @ 12:32 PM,

1 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

No crying foul here.

I haven't shopped much at Wal-Mart the last two years, but largely because of inconvenience and not because of any "principled stand" (indeed, of all my college retail jobs, Wal-Mart paid the best).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives