La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Am I really so alone?

Various anonymous bloggers have been discussing why they blog anonymously, or why their blogs do not reveal their identities. Greg points out that men tend to blog under their names and women tend to do so anonymously. Then, he suggests that I'm the only non-anonymous, female political science blogger. (Say that three times quickly.) Perhaps.

I wouldn't dare speculate as to why others blog, and some political scientists explain for themselves why they blog.

For myself, I've discussed why I blog and the pros and cons as I see them regarding the ways that I blog.


posted by Michelle @ 3:37 PM,

3 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Greg Weeks said...

I hadn't realized you'd already talked about what seems to be a gender difference in the type of blog (and a long time ago too). I need to do my homework better!

 
At 11/15/2006 6:00 PM, Blogger Chris Lawrence said...

I think you can also count Laura McKenna of 11D. But it is a small, select group. Not that there are that many non-anonymous male political science bloggers either.

 
At 11/16/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

... and to some extent I'd say the pseudonym/real name issue is apples and oranges. While there are areas of crossover in terms of content, each does lead to some different types of blogging. Neither is inherently better, just more comfortable or suited for certain contexts. Just me $0.02, if it's even worth that much (and I've blogged both ways, but initially chose the pseud as much because it seemed to be a convention for the kind of blogging I wanted to do as for real name ungoogleability (can that last bit be a word? please?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives