La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Thursday, May 05, 2005




The Economist on Mexico

The Economist has an update on AMLO in Mexico. The article mentions that now Lopez Obrador will need to run on a positive platform, rather than a martyr struggling against injustice. True, true.

The U.S./U.K. press has made a lot of noise about AMLO's populist past. But something I read in the print edition of La Jornada rang truer for me. Someone recently asked AMLO about his political stance and he replied that his radical days were over: "Now I am a politician of the Center." Here's the link.

I'd say he's still left of center, but at least he understands the need to moderate his position and rhetoric. Maybe he learned from Lula. Or maybe he realizes that moderating his position, promising not to punish opponents, and keeping a lid on the disatisfaction of his supporters are the factors that helped save his skin.


posted by Michelle @ 4:24 PM,

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2005 12:15 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmm... the PRI platform. Their rhetoric is always more or less to the left, but their politics not so much. Yes, they might talk more to the left, but I think they will keep some of their key neoliberal positions. Really, I think that the PRI is pretty divided--some left factions, some neoliberals. I guess the final plat form will depend on who becomes the candidate.

So, one way to look at it is...will they move to the left, and choose a left candidate? [I don't think so.] Will the candidate with the most political bargaining power within the party become candidate and then the platform be defined accordingly? [More likely.] Which is to say that I think the left/right position follows the candidate, rather than choosing a candidate to suit their ideal left/right position.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives