La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Gigante Silva

Brian and I like to go to lucha libre matches while we're in Mexico, and we went to our first match in 1998. Since then, we've been to about 6-10 nights of lucha at either Arena Mexico or Coliseo in Mexico City. When our friends visit us in Mexico, we usually take them to the luchas, and usually it is the highlight of their trip. Unfortunately, going to the luchas has become hip among the fresa crowd, and the last time we went to the fights in May 2005, there were lots of fresa-types.

Anyway, last night at dinner, I told the students about getting my picture taken with a famous Brazilian who wrestled in Mexico for a while before graduating to the big league in the U.S. Apparently, he is now doing some other ultimate fighting championship thing.

So, below is a picture of me with Gigante Silva. The photo was taken by my mother over Thanksgiving weekend 2001. Brian and I took her and my aunt to the artisan market in Mexico City. The market happens to be blocks from Arena Mexico, and we spotted Silva sitting down to lunch in the market restaurant.

I bothered him for an autograph and a picture, which I've put below. In the picture, I am standing on a dining room chair; I am 5'1".



posted by Michelle @ 10:40 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives