La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

About the Mexican presidential election

This post is long overdue. I'd like to be able to say that it's overdue entirely because classes have begun, I went to the APSA meetings, and then to NYC. But that wouldn't be true. I've avoided writing about the election situation in Mexico because I haven't wanted to write about it. I've been too disappointed to write about it.

I'm disappointed not only in the outcome but also the process that led to it, not for partisan reasons as much as the impact it will have on the new administration and the government for the foreseeable future.

I'm disappointed that Calderon resisted a full recount that could have given his administration more legitimacy.

I'm disappointed that Lopez Obrador seems intent on further disruptions despite the electoral court's ruling.

I'm disappointed that the IFE didn't better police before the election those 3rd party ads that were clearly partisan.

I'm disappointed because I suspect that many Mexicans, on the left, right, and center, are also disappointed in their leaders. That can't be good for collective confidence in political institutions and democracy.

I'm disappointed that though Mexico's new democracy has so far survived this crisis, it is still in critical condition.

So that's why I haven't written a post about the Mexican presidential election lately. It's just too disappointing.


posted by Michelle @ 10:54 AM,

5 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Greg Weeks said...

Yes, I think that sums it up nicely.

 
At 9/10/2006 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I felt the same after florida!

 
At 9/11/2006 12:37 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

The comparison to Florida in 2000 is a good one. But, in that case, I was disappointed that Gore didn't push harder.

 
At 10/10/2006 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you would have liked Gore to pull an AMLO?

 
At 10/31/2006 11:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Profesora Abstraída:
And I'm just totally agree about that.
It's disspointing.

Salute!
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives