La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Thursday, May 05, 2005




Fox, the Government of Change....of opinion


By El Licenciado, Garcí in El Financiero.

Fox's campaign was the "Alliance for Change" and he calls his government, the "Government of Change." TV ads and highway billboards promote government projects saying "El Gobierno de Cambio cumple"; the government of change fulfills its word.

Mexico has another change problem. As anyone who has visited knows, vendors, stores, and restaurants rarely have change. Want to buy a $.75 soda with a $5 bill? Want to pay for a $4 taxi ride with a $10 bill? You're out of luck because everyone is out of change.

So my favorite joke when vendors or stores tell me that they don't have change for my purchase is "Right. What Mexico lacks is change, right? In more ways than one, huh?" They seem to get a kick out of that, or they just humor the poor gringa.


posted by Michelle @ 4:35 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives