La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Friday, June 24, 2005




Activist murdered in Queretaro

This week, an activist of the gay community in Queretaro was found murdered in his condom shop in the center of the city. The store also served as an informal source of information for young people about sexually transmitted diseases. He was 28.

The police claim the motive of the crime was robbery, but with six knife wounds, that's hard to swallow. Apparently, hate crimes of this type have been on the rise in this large industrial city two hours north of Mexico City.

Read the story related to my earlier post on homophobia in Mexico.

This Saturday, Mexico City will hold its gay rights march, which has recently turned into more of a gay pride parade, according to one of my friends. In the past, it used to be a march demanding protection of the community's human rights, but of late has turned into a NYC inspired drag parade. I'll let you know what I think on Sunday.


posted by Michelle @ 9:54 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mexico City slideshow

Go to main page:

La Profesora Abstraída

About me:

Name: Michelle Dion
Location: Toronto, ON
View my complete profile
View my website

traducir este pagina

Previous Posts



Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?

Archives