La Profesora Abstraída

Weblog of Michelle Dion, Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, at McMaster University. My blog has moved to michelledion.com/blog. Visit my other website.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More pension shenanigans

While I'm busy writing about social insurance in Mexico through the Fox administration, Calderon and others ar working to privatize the pensions of government employees--with some interesting political results.

No links, but browsing the front page of the La Jornada over the last week will give you a sense of the dimensions of the conflict.


posted by Michelle @ 10:02 AM,

4 Comments:

At 3/21/2007 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you bothered by the *extreme* partisan/ideological bias of La Jornada? I know every news outlet will have one, but those folks are a caricature of the great paper they once (long ago) were.

 
At 3/21/2007 4:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You make a good point, but I still read/link to the Jornada for a couple of reasons.

1. Reforma's content is all password/subscription protected. Stories on other paper websites sometimes move/disappear, leaving dead links. At least, La Jornada's links last.

2. La Jornada's bias is so obvious that it's fairly transparent and easy to discern and/or ignore. It's like reading the Economist or the Washington Post, which can also be fairly biased.

3. Because of La Jornada's lefty bias, it is more likely to cover news of interest to me for research purposes. For instance, La Jornada reported when the Supreme Court ruled against the SNTSS on the August 2004 pension reform. Other online news sources (that don't require a subscription) did not.

So, I get the news I want with a fairly consistent bias that I'm able to disregard (precisely because I am aware of it).

The equivalent would be if I got my US news from Fox News. It would still be news, although with a clear bias that a careful consumer can discern.

 
At 4/03/2007 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't really have to be "careful" to see the bias of Fox News. Randall

 
At 4/04/2007 5:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

True. Perhaps I don't have to be careful about the bias of Fox News, but I know some people (including friends and family) who are blissfully ignore the bias and take Fox as Truth (note the capital T). Whether they really believe it is the Truth or if they would acknowledge the bias (at least to themselves, if not to the world), I couldn't tell you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home